Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 16mm camera

  1. #1
    Inactive Member darthshawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2000
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am wanting to learn about these cameras, find out what to look for, then find somewhere to buy one, so if any one could help me to find resources that would be useful that would be very helpful.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would recommend not buying one unless you are familiar with them first. I would try and find places where you can play around with them a bit..either a co-op that will rent them to members or try and get on a really small film crew so you can stick your nose in there. Go out and buy a super8 and shoot with that for a while...it will at least give you some kind of understanding as to what the hecks going on with film and how to expose it properly. Also take a serious look at the cost of film. If you are just getting into things you may want to buy some digital gear to play with first. Almost everybody would rather shoot film but almost nobody can afford it. It'll allow you to shoot a bunch of shorts for the cost of film for one. Take a serious look at it before you blow your wad.....

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree as a whole about learning what you want before you buy. I own an Aaton S16/16 camera that I love. It does everything I want it to when I want it to. I also own a Beaulieu Super8 that I shoot alomost everyday. I agree that a good Super8 is a must, I just don't know if it must come first. I have shot Arri, Aaton, Beaulieu, Bolex, Eclair and Panavision--they all have their good points and they all have their bad points(Panavision has the most bad points!!!). I bought my Aaton because it is not only a great camera on a tripod but I think the best handheld camera ever created by Human Beings. Arri's I think are great cameras but are to heavy even the SR2 and SR3's are nice for studio work or a shoot that uses a tripod but when you pick these cameras up--they are built like a good German car--HEAVY!!!! I guess what I am getting at is--lay your hands on some cameras see what feels good to you, talk to some people that shoot a lot too. Find out what they like and why they like it. Most of all if and when you buy a camera buy the best you can afford. Good Luck and if you have any questions email me.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member darthshawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2000
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am going to be starting my first 16mm film this summer, and I was hoping you knew of some where I could lern about how the cameras operate etc. I have never used one before, so I need to learn really basic stuff, and at $500 per day I don't have the kind of casash needed to test out different cameras and play around with one.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Where are you located???? If you are in a big city in the USA join a film CO-OP. Email me if you have any detailed questions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •